22 March 2022

California Dreamin' part 8 - Should I Stay or Should I Go Now

Should I stay or should I go now?

Should I stay or should I go now?

If I go, there will be trouble

And if I stay it will be double

So come on and let me know....

So my beautiful baby sister, Christine, who lives in Connecticut, decided to come out to California at the same time I was going to CA.  We had talked about this for months.  We needed to find a day when we both could do it.  There were lots of "if's" involved.  Still I was not yet able to say which day was even going to be my last day at work.  Then when that was settled, I said to Christine:  Let's be sure to talk before you buy a ticket.  It would be horrible if she bought a flight ticket and I wasn't able to go.  But then I finally had a retirement date and we finally agreed to when we could be there.  

But then the worst thing imaginable happened.  Just days before my departure, the baggage guys at SAS went on strike.  They striked (struck?) for a few days and then a judge said that the guys had to go back to work because the strike is illegal.  But the guys didn't go back to work.  So since a judge said the strike was illegal, that allowed SAS to give the ultimatum:  either come back now or don't come back at all.

I can understand the guys striking.  I would have been a part of it too.  I really don't know what I would have done if the company demanded me to return.  The conditions have become very unfavorable since corona.  A lot of guys quit before the strike and I can imagine a lot of guys never returned.  I am so lucky and so thankful that I was able to go on early retirement.  But I feel so badly for my workmates.  

Anyhoo..... the situation got cleared up just 2 days before departure date.  All this to say that Christine and I were able to visit family at the same time.  I arrived to my sister Jay's house on Friday night from Union Station, and on Saturday afternoon we picked up Christine from the OC airport.


Isn't she cute?  She's the best baby sister a brother could have.


1 comment:

  1. What a Blessing to have you both here and be able to all be together!

    John Waynne Perez

    ReplyDelete