22 March 2022

California Dreamin' part 7 - Me Love You Long Time

OK - that line is actually from a film about the Vietnam war.  But the line is far enough East for me to fit it in with this New Chinatown in the west.

After lunch, George and I walked into the heart of China Town.  In the early 1860's, thousands of Chinese men, most of them originating from Guangdong province in southern China, were hired by the Central Pacific Railroad Company to work on the western portion of the first transcontinental railroad.  Many of the men settled in Los Angeles.  The original Chinatown was developed in the 1880's to1933 and then was demolished to make way for the new and coming Union Station.  In 1938, the new Chinatown opened to where it is now.


























Jackfruit - not to be confused with Just Jack.



So now there is an even newer part of Chinatown with modern buildings and a metro station built to fit in with the surrounding area. George brought me some surprises; shirts and shorts among other things.  He gave me this very nice looking Hawaiian shirt.
I put the shirt on over the shirt that I was wearing which he gave me the last time I saw him.
Then he pulled out these really horrible/funny pink shorts.
I pulled them on over the shorts I was already waring.
I hated them.
Then I opened the blue shirt and too my surprise and amazement, 
the shorts and black shirt matched perfectly.

It was cool and it was breezy so I kept on the second shirt.
It was time to make our way back to Union Station.
I had to catch the train to Orange County.
I thought it was really nice how they made the metro station
fit in so nicely with the rest of the area.







1 comment:

  1. I did not want you to leave! I cannot believe you carried all the gifts for everyone, from Denmark, crossed China to make it to Orange County. Such a wonderful first day in Los Angeles.

    Perez

    ReplyDelete