22 March 2022

California Dreamin' part 29 - Back with Mama and Papa

All the mission bells will ring

The chapel choir will sing

The happiness you'll bring

Will live in my memory

When the swallows come back to Capistrano

That's the day I pray that you'll come back to me


I don't know if I had photos or if I misplaced photos or.....  But I do know that I didn't take many pix the entire 2 weeks.  I ended up using pix from other people.  So thank-you to those who have sent pix this way.  I took a quick peek into the mission and then continued on to my folks house.  There, I just spent the time visiting and relaxing.  We played a lot of cards and ate a lot of food.  All of the cooking and grilling was fantastic but I didn't really do photos.  Maybe I should have.  But in the big non-physical picture, the time spent with my parents was a joy.  It was so nice to see them again and spend some time with them after a too long break.  

I've told this story before and I will tell it again.  In 2020, I took a well deserved break from taking care of Jens.  Some very good friends invited me to go with them to Gran Canaria.  I did.  Just 1½ days after arriving on the island, the prime minister of Denmark said that all Danes need to get back home now.  Corona broke out.  The island shut down.  The airport had more chaos than planes.  My plan was to go for one week to the island, back to work for one week and then out to California for 2 weeks.  But corona changed all of that.  

It was only now that I felt it was safe enough to get on a flight.  With all the craziness that I have been reading about, I decided not to get on a US domestic flight and would instead just fly direct from Denmark to LAX.  I'm so glad I did.  It turned out to be a great time to see my folks, my sisters and a few friends.  It turned out to be a really nice visit with my folks because I broke up the schedule so that I would visit my parents 2 times instead of one long week.  It worked out really well.  I'm looking forward to seeing them again soon.


Edit 

OK so I just knew that I had photos somewhere.  I must have deleted them or filed them in the wrong place because I just cannot find them.  Then I saw that there were pix in my Whatsapp folder so I was able to find a few.  Here are the few pix I found.








I don't remember if the tostadas came before the ribs 
or the other way around but both days were heaven.  
And just look at that dessert!  
That's right - just look!  
You look and I eat.





Oh and now I remember being a bit bummed because I thought: Dang, I only have a couple of days left with my folks.  Then I looked at the calendar and thought: Oh - it's only the 27th.  There's plenty more time.  I was happy about that.  Then my heart sunk again when I remembered it's February. 

Sadly, Jens was not able to attend.  But he wanted me to greet my folks with this mobile that he got for them.  Jens loves the song about the swallows at Mission San Jaun Capistrano.  He relates that song with my folks.  So he bought this calming mobile that I actually bought for him also, a few years ago when I saw it at the royal library.


No comments:

Post a Comment