29 May 2022

Nice could be nice - Day 1

So, today is my first full day in Nice.  I get up and swing open the mint green painted shuttered windows to admire the view and to check and see if we are going to have rain or sun today.  It looks like it could go either way.  Fingers crossed.  My plan is to hop on the bus, leave Nice and visit Èze.  I've been to Èze before.  I have a few pix of it, but now I want to see it again.  I'm not quite sure if I remember Èze from my photos, my memory or from all the pictures I have looked at on google maps just a month before my departure. 

Here's my morning view.






I leave the apartment and as soon as I got out doors, I went against my own plans which was to make a beeline to the bus stop.  Instead I decided to sit down at an outdoor café, enjoy the early morning hazy sunshine and have a bite to eat.   I wasn't up early but I was for sure up before most of the cafés opened.  I found a cute little place just 20 steps from my BnB but the menu didn't seem to have anything other than coffee and lunch items.  So I kept walking.  I past several places but I walked until something hit me.  This place looked really cute and again just a few steps from where I started from.




Well, that was the last time I would do that.  A tiny basket of assorted breads with 1 teeny tiny dollop of butter, a cute jar of about 1½ teaspoons of jelly, real fresh squeezed juice and a tiny bowl of coffee.  Coffee in a bowel?   um.....ok.  I guess it's been a long time since I have been out to eat breakfast.  The bill gave me quite a scare.

After breakfast I finally made my way to the bus stop.  It's Sunday.  Should have realized that the buses don't run as often on Sundays.  The bus came and gone as I was trying to figure out the ticket machine.  I double checked with a guy standing next to me:  Excuse me, do you speak English?  Yeah, a little - he answered in perfect Australian.  Ok, well, he was obviously a tourist here before me and he knew what to do so that helped.  But it turned out to be quite a wait for the next bus and I only needed a few stops. I really could have just walked the few stops but I wasn't sure how far the few stops were. The bus driver couldn't speak English and when I showed her my google map printout, she started asking me questions in French.  The only reason I was in doubt is because google maps was very unclear and made mention of a possible detour due to something or another.   Luckily I had a general idea of where I was going.  Actually should have gotten off one stop earlier.  Google wanted me to hang around for a while and go a few stops further.  While trying to figure out where the next busstop was at, that bus too came and gone. It had just left. I had to wait 40 minutes for the next bus.  And when the bus finally came and I got on,  I was lucky to be too skinny and not have found a Denny's Grand Slam breakfast deal.  I had to suck it in to get on board.


The bus route started at the bottom of the hill and it was zig-zag all the way up the mountain side.  It was clear that the bus driver could do that road in his sleep.  Everybody standing and sitting were swinging to and fro as we rounded each curve.  It was also clear that the sooner we get there, the sooner the bus driver can start his break.


CLICK  HERE  TO  SEE  MY  PIX  FROM  ÈZE.


Click this link to see all 517 photos.

Click on the blue ALL where it says: Show 25/50/ALL 

Click on first photo of tulips.

Click on "Slideshow" to see large photo.

Click on "Full Screen" (upper right hand side) to see largest version.

Sit back and enjoy as the photos will "slideshow" on it's own.

You can control the speed of the slideshow by clicking on "options" (upper right-hand side).

No comments:

Post a Comment