28 May 2022

Nice could be nice - Day 1 - Éze

I finally found the bus stop.  I knew it was at this circle intersection.  I just had to find it.  I wasn't far. And then when it dawned on me that this was the place, I had a big smile.  The smile ended rather quickly when I read the bus stop sign that said I would have to wait 40 minutes.  The ride itself is only 15 minutes 10K / 6 miles.  But I made it.


Here are a few pix I snapped while waiting for the bus.

Can you spot the kitty on the middle balcony on the top floor?

Above:  This is the traffic circle I was looking for.  I was only about 3 blocks away but I couldn't figure out which way to go.

Now I am arriving at the mediæval village of Èze.  The oldest building dates from 1306.  The village is 427m / 1,461ft above sea level.  One of the signs there said that on a clear day, it is possible to see the island of Corsica.  The haze was thick this day so I was just lucky enough to see the sea.  Here on wikipedia you can read more about the village.  It's a short description.

Here now are pix from the village of Èze.
Above: arrival bus stop.


























My goal was to go to the top.  It turns out that there is an entrance fee because you are entering a cactus garden.  It was only €6 so I paid to see the view.  Nice cactus led the way but it was the view I was after.





Below:  Now at the top of the medieval village.  
This is a bridge that the bus crossed over to get us here.

At the top.



Once I saw the view from the top, I went back down to take the bus back to Nice.  But as few buses going to Èze, there were even fewer going back.  So I had more than enough time to stop in the below café for a sandwich and a coffee before the next bus would arrive.  Still I would have to wait even longer time for the bus that I came with.  So the other option was to take a bus going the opposite way back to Nice.  It was longer but I would be on the move.  I didn't want to risk hordes of tourist going home at the same time and missing the bus completely.  It turned out to be a big mistake.


Now I am on the bus that will take 3 times as long to get back - which I was not aware of.
These pix are snapped from the bus.

Shock of all shocks - Bus 83 didn't go back all the way to Nice.  It stopped just 2 stations short of the city.  How stupid.  I had to get out of the bus and switch to the train.  When I google bus 83, it shows that it goes all the way to the city.   I checked it just now.   But I guess it doesn't on Sundays.

I had a day pass that I used to get to Èze and back.  But when I got on the train, I didn't see the ticket machine to read my day pass.  I walked up the the ticket controller and asked her:  Where is the ticket reader?  No No No she said.  Not this ticket.  Now you must pay a fine of €50.  I thought she must have been nuts.  I said then I will just get out at the next station.  No, she said, You can not do that.  Well I wasn't going to cause any problems so I just paid the fine.  Obviously I wasn't trying to cheat as I walked up to her to ask about where to read my ticket. The normal fare would have been only €1.50


So just a few days ago, I wrote a long letter to the French railroad company asking if they would reconsider since it was an honest mistake.  Who would risk a €50 fine for €1.50?  Obviously a dumb tourist mistake.  Plus anyone would conclude: if you can get from A to B on a day pass, you must certainly be able to get back from B to A on the same day pass.   That's how it is here in DK, anyway.  Hopefully the train company will have pity for the dumb tourist and send at least some of the money back.

Click this link to see all 517 photos.

Click on the blue ALL where it says: Show 25/50/ALL 

Click on first photo of tulips.

Click on "Slideshow" to see large photo.

Click on "Full Screen" (upper right hand side) to see largest version.

Sit back and enjoy as the photos will "slideshow" on it's own.

You can control the speed of the slideshow by clicking on "options" (upper right-hand side).

No comments:

Post a Comment