26 May 2022

Nice could be nice - Day 1 - La Cascade

When the lezbian - tranzsexual march was over, I attempted my way back up Castle Hill again, to see the waterfall / la cascade at the top of Castle Hill.  The Castle of Nice was a military citadel.  Built at the top of a hill, it stood overlooking the bay of Nice from the 11th century to the 18th century.  It was besieged several times, especially in 1543 and in  1691, before it was taken by French troops in 1705 and finally destroyed in 1706 by command of Louis XIV.  Wikipedia

But before I walked higher up to La Cascade, I stopped at the plateau to take a few photos over the city.




There are 6 steeples/towers and one dome in old Nice.
The steeple in the next few pix, is the steeple that I can see out of my BnB windows.

This is the steeple I see from my BnB



The steeple I see from my BnB is left-center in the above photo.


Now I continue up to the top of the hill to view the falls and feel the slimy algae mist, gently spraying on my face and arms in the warm Mediterranean sunshine.  

 



Though the sky is still a bit sticky, the weather is warm and I treat myself to a 33 cl bottle of beer in the outdoor patio on the backside of the falls, atop of Castle Hill, while giving my tootsies a break with the view looking north.

 

Eventually, I make my way back to my BnB, I freshen up but contemplate if I should shower off the algae or let them battle it out with the half cooked tuna parasites.   I'm not hungry so I have no desire to walk around town to find something to eat.  I walked down the crusty old stairwell of my BnB, open the main door and turn right.  The next door is a Lebanese restaurant and next door to that is an Indian restaurant.  Jens is not into hot exotic food, so Dehli Belly it is while I can.   


It's after 8 in the evening and I am one of the first guest for dinner.
Everything on the menu has a *  or  ** or  *** next to the name of the dish.
The more *'s, the hotter it is.  

I ordered a *** appetizer. 


There were also several cocktails you could order.  2 of them were Indian shots.  What are these?  I asked the very nice waiter.  He explained: 1 was mango based and the other, cardamom based.  That sounded interesting enough to order it.


It was very tasty.

And for the main dish, I ordered *** .   "Are you sure you want that?" the waiter asked, warning me that it was very hot.  I said, "I'm sure enough to be willing to give it a try."  He suggested, "I can make it less hot for you, if you want", he tried to convince me.  "No no - I'm sure."

Well........, I ate the 3* appetizer and I thought to myself: If this is hot, it's a good thing I ordered 3*'s for the main meal.  The waiter asked - what did you think?  I said it was delicious.  Would you like the main dish now?  Yes, please.

Oh  Mi  Holy  Funk !  I can't eat this dragon breath !  I had to open my mouth and grab my tongue to feel if it was still there or if it totally shriveled away.  Yes, my tongue was still there but now my finger tips were burning.  Half way through the meal the waiter came out and asked,  "So, what do you think?"
I said, "It's really delicious but do you have the number to the fire department?"

He laughed.  He left. He came out again to take the next customer.  As he zipped by me, he discretely put a little bowel of flavored yoghurt on my table with out any explanation - but I knew what it was for.  It's a fire extinguisher for the mouth.  I put a few spoonfuls of the cream on the food.  Then a few spoonfuls more.   Then I dumped the rest of it onto the food, frantically scraping out every drop of yoghurt out of the bowl and onto my meal.  Still blazing saddles but at least it stopped the blisters from forming into big pustulant, oozing, shiny bumps of watery goo.

After I was done, the waiter cleared the table, of which there was still plenty of sauce in the bowel with about 15 or 20 thick green jalapeño peppers. I couldn't eat more than 5 and I was very nervous about my next visit to the toilet.   As he was removing dishes, he asked, "Would you like some dess........"   I cut him off in the middle of his sentence, "YES!  ICE-CREAM !!"  

It was late and I just wanted to go to bed.  But as the saying goes, "You can sleep when you're dead"  So, I walked to the coast to check out the happenings and to get my stomach moving.  Here are a few pix from right after dinner.

It's just after 9 in the night and the beach is loaded with people enjoying the evening light and warmth.  There were actually lots of volley ball games going on as well.

 
Back to the moon.  I snapped these too for Carlos.  It was a beautiful site.  But gosh darn it - the moon always comes out as a big white circle in my photos.   Then I found another setting on my camera.  I couldn't believe it came out this good.  It's probably still possible to set the camera so that the sky would also show the deep blue atmosphere.  But at least I got some detail on what otherwise looks like a lightbulb.


Click this link to see all 517 photos.

Click on the blue ALL where it says: Show 25/50/ALL 

Click on first photo of tulips.

Click on "Slideshow" to see large photo.

Click on "Full Screen" (upper right hand side) to see largest version.

Sit back and enjoy as the photos will "slideshow" on it's own.

You can control the speed of the slideshow by clicking on "options" (upper right-hand side).






No comments:

Post a Comment