30 September 2017

Auto Tour Day 6

We wake up and put our face on and go downstairs to have breakfast - included in the price.  It's a fancy Business hotel so it was kind of stuffy atmosphere although it was very much on the "swank" side.  The food was good but breakfast is breakfast - right?.  A chef was at the ready to take your order for the way you like your eggs.  I like mine here and now and not having to wait in line for them. But they didn't have that today so I made do with the soft boiled egg which is traditional Danish.

We packed up and headed south.  Our day is without plans other than to see Viborg and hopfully see something in Jelling.   I'm getting really excited to see the Viking Stones in Jelling - even further south.  Jens is tired and I wasn't quite sure on how we were going to do both Viborg and Jelling in the same day.  
But here we are in Viborg now.  We just arrived.  We found the handicap parking spot at the church.  Cobble stones are a big no no for wheelchairs.  The jitter is so horrible, it'll make your teeth fall out.  So I pushed as carefully as possible to the Cathedral and wouldn't you know it - we are early.  The church was closed and we had to wait for 15 - 20 minutes or so before they would save our soul.  
 That gave us time to walk around the church grounds and snap a few pix of the surrounding area.


Oh! - this is the high court of the west.  I had to study and know if there was one or more and where it was or they were.  There are 2 - east and west.


At 11:00 the bell went bong and the handicap door hummed open.  I walked in and fell to the floor and shouted: HOLY IS THY NAME !  I mean this place was just soooo heavenly.  I cannot stress it enough - it was amazingly, gorgeously, beautiful to the 10th power.  And it only cost a buck and a half to get in.
Of course all of the painting are stories from the bible so most of them you can figure out for yourself.  I ended up buying a little souvenir booklet that explains a lot of stuff - can probably see it all on-line anyway.  Let's just see..........  oh, well, here you go - built in 1104 and click this for more.



 This is on the ceiling.  You can see it in the last church photo below.






This angle is 2m / 6½' high and ready to give me my halo.
I would have to have a head that big to think it was mine.



Seriously - it was just painfully beautiful - I couldn't take it anymore. 
I didn't deserve the awe of it.
So off to see the village we go.

But just before hitting up the shops and squares, I said to Jens that I wanted to find out who these people were on that huge, square, granit rock that was just off to the side of the church in a separate little park.
I could almost figure it out but wanted to be sure.

Yes - this is Queen Magrete I.  She was a strong woman and a clever one at that.  She managed to create a union between Norway, Sweden and Denmark and become the ruler of the union.  It's a very intricate story.  In short, her father, King Valdemar Atterdag died without an heir to the throne.  So Magrete, the youngest daughter of King Valdemar, made sure her son Olaf would be the next king.   Of course he was too young so she ruled in his place until he was old enough to inherit the kingdom at the age of 18.  But Olaf suddenly died at age 17.  So Magrete sought to it that her nephew Erik would be the next king.  He too was too young and Magrethe kept on ruling the 3 countries until Erik was of age and then she ruled along side with him.  Eventually things went sour for the union.  Sweden left the union in 1523 and Norway in 1814.

From 1027 to 1655 all kings' homages took place here in Viborg.  Therefore this monument was set up showing Queen Margrethe I and her 9 year old nephew Erik af Pommern.

And right nearby is this flag pole and memorial marker where every year on Sept. 5th., ( just 7 days ago) men and women who have been sent to war are honored for it is they who have paid the highest price.

Now finally Jens and I are off to see the city center.  Viborg is one of the oldest cities in Denmark, with Viking settlements dating back to the late 8th century.  Its central location gave the city great strategic importance, in political and religious matters, during the Middle Ages.

Take a close look at the building in the photo from around 1890
and the actual building in the background.


 Love the name of this secondhand shop.



 







It's a small town.  There is lots to see but we are just concentrating on the city center.
We have to take a decision now - do we drive on to Jelling?  I really want to spend time at both the museum and see the actual Viking Stones which are the most important stones of Denmark.
OR
Do we get a room now in Viborg, take it easy and enjoy the rest of the day at a relaxing pace?
Jens is getting exhausted so that pretty much sets the plan for the day.  
If we don't rest now, he'll be wiped out for the rest of the holiday.

I whip out my phone and open the Booking dot com app.
They always ask me if I would recommend the website to friends and family.
uh..... No.
If I do and you book a room with me as your reference, I can get a discount on my next booking.
If I advertise Booking dot crap on my blog, I could actually make $.
The site and the app are easy to use but there is a lot of BS that goes along with it.
So instead of pushing the company as something great and pushing you into one of the hotels,
I'd rather be honest and say to you - read the fine print.

anyway.....

There was a 3* Best Western room in the center of town and a 4* Best Western room just outside of town. Just about the same price.  Check in is at 14:00.  But since I am a club member, I am entitled to 2 hours of early check-in and 2 hours of late check out.  
The room with the water view turned out to be an extra bit of money so we just went with the standard room - but I asked for a handicap friendly room if they had one.

We arrived at 13:00.
Sorry - they said - You can only check in at 14:00 or later.
But I'm a private member of Booking dot con - I said.
They laughed.
Said I was funny.
Feel free to sit in our bar and order a $10 cup of coffee while you wait - they said.
We did.
Rip.
And it was like our 50th cup of coffee that day.

Finally it was 14:00
We checked in.
Walked the long hall way and opened the door to the standard wheelchair room.
It was a true blessing from the wheelchair gods.
We ended up with a beautiful view of the lake just outside of our window. 

  Here's the room - simple with a touch of style. 
We just walked in and Jens crashed immediately.
 

Here's the view.

Here's the link to the hotel in case you need to crash over night in Viborg
or need a place to swing your 9 iron.


After a few Z's, we are ready to hit the hotel restaurant and get some grub.

 This time is was tasty.

Be sure to view day 7 of our auto tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment