30 September 2017

Auto Tour Day 5

Disappointed but not surprised - the sky is gray and filled with drizzle.
The positive side is that it's a great day to go to church and pray for forgiveness
for complaining about the weather.

This is the beautiful Aalborg Cathedral - Church of Budolfi.  Here is the link to everything you ever wanted to know about it.  The short version is that there has been a church (catholic) here ever since around year 1000.  Named after patron saint for seafaring men, St Botolph.  Made of wood.  Burned to the ground.  Rebuilt.  Burned again.  Rebuilt. Then torn down and in 1440 the present building was started with additions throughout the centuries.  Becomes Lutheran during the reformation period. As late as 1943, there was another extension to the building.  Most everything inside is carved of wood.  Very ornate, detailed and beautiful.  I hope there is a good fire proof system in the building.  The link above describes some of the pix below that I just randomly snapped - because of the wow factor.












 If you have time, you should also click this link to see another set of 200 photos, both indoor and outdoors, taken by other people.  Some of the shots are really nice. 


After confession for complaining about the rain, we left the church with our umbrellas up and ducked into a near by coffee shop to stay dry.
Don't let the photos and story confuse you.  The photo above is a shop that sells fresh imported coffee beans and tea leafs.  The photo below is of a trendy café in an annex building to a hip department store across the street.

It's still wet outside but the rain has stopped and the sky is breaking up. 
Could it be god heard my ranting and raving?
 A little side cobble stone street with storybook houses.
We walked as far as Vor Frue Kirke / Church of Our Lady.  Jens was getting tired and needed his nap.  I kept saying just one more street and then we'll go back.  At the corner of every street was another fascinating surprise and it just made it all the more difficult to go back to the hotel.  Every street and path and short cut was begging to be noticed.






Jens is saying - Roll me home Eddie!  I need my nap!  You take one more dod gamn selfi and I'm gonna smash that funking camera over your big fat bald head!!

So we head back to our room with a view.  I kiss my hubby and say -
I love you Skatto but I gotta go see more.


 More storybook homes and they are everywhere.

 The shops are colorful.


 I snapped this window to remind me to buy this lamp.

 This is the main Blvd. into town.  Each building, one after the other, is a work of art.










2 hours later I am back at the hotel.  Jens is up and ready for round 2. 
He suggest we go for a little drive.
Only 22 km / 15 miles / 30 minutes away from our hotel and
we are in the little marine village of Nibe.






Back to Aalborg now and we are set to eat dinner.  On my walk earlier this afternoon. I found what looked like an amazing restaurant.  It was just 3 doors down from the lamp shop.  We walked in.  It was early.  Only one table was occupied.  At first they wouldn't seat us because we didn't have reservations and every table was filled.  We begged.  They said ok but only if we promise to be gone by 8pm.  Jens and I looked at each other knowing that we can eat a 5 course meal in 15 minutes.  The guy was giving us almost 3 hours to eat and go.  We tried to pretend we were as disappointed but agreed to be gone by 8.  "You see, Jens", I said, "I knew this was a good choice, I could feel it when I walked by."   Then sat down and read the menu.  There were 4 choices on the menu and it all looked extremely boring and extremely expensive.  We walked out and then rolled just 5 minutes away to a fantastic cozy and delicious restaurant with a view of lots of active city life.  They were serving the exact kind of food we were looking for this evening. And the bill?  Let's just say next time you are in town, we'll treat you to something fantastic.  Here is the link to the café.



Be sure to view day 6 of our tour - click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment