04 September 2022

5 - Happy 80th Birthday, Pop !! - LAX and Amtrak

I finally arrive in LAX.  The best option to visit my California family is to land at Orange County airport aka John Wayne International airport aka Santa Ana airport with code SNA.   This is the best option because it is only 7 minutes from Jay's house.  But to land here, I would have had to be at JFK by 4:30 am.   So LAX it was.  Jay said - no problem to pick you up from LAX as long as you arrive late in the night.  The flight landed at 9 pm and what a surprise that Jacob, my nephew, from Tennessee, his flight landed at 8:30 pm.  He just had to walk from T3 to T4 where I was, and we basically met right at the luggage carousel at the same time.  We went out to the street and there came Jay to pick us up and whisk us off to OC.  On the way home we stopped at In-N-Out Burger but just kept on driving to the next In-N-Out because there were 50 cars in line. It was about 10:30-ish at night. We ended up driving to 4 different In-N-Outs because they were all overloaded with cars in the drive-thru.  Everybody's got the munchies for In-N-Out.  WTF!  I think we ended up at McDonalds. 

So sorry, no photo of arrivals or burgers or any such things.  Only mostly text here.  It was a holiday weekend.  One of the reasons why I used my mother's AA miles was to not to have to fly stand-by and risk not making it to my own father's b-day party.  It was also planned that I would come early and help Jay set up tables, chairs, tents, decorations and such, the day before the party.  Jacob and I arrived on the 1st of September, which is my dad's birthday, but the party was on the 4th during the Labor Day weekend.  Jay had a whole long story why they, Jay, and my folks, would get together and celebrate on the 4th instead of the 1st.  

On Friday, the 3 of us drove down to Ocean Side where we were to meet my mother.  We dropped off Jacob with my mother and she drove him back to her house.  My dad had no idea that Jacob was in town.  It was a surprise.  And boy was my father pleasantly surprised.  Also, my dad had no idea that a party for him was still to come.

There were so many things that happened, and I can't remember them all or in the right order, so I am just going to throw them out here for free viewing.  On this blog we will start with the train travel between Jay's house and my folk's house.  I also used Amtrak for transportation to DTLA a couple of times.  But that will be in another blog story.  I bet you can hardly wait.

My mother offered me her car and Jay offered me her car but the last thing I wanted to do, was to drive the freeways of southern CA.  Christine and Robert raised their eyebrows when I told them I want to take public transportation to JFK.   My family thinks I have gone off the deep end for taking public transport instead of a car.  But this is what I am now used to and prefer it.  

OK - All of the following pix have been shot thru a heavily tinted train window with non-lighting speed involved.  For most of them, I could remove the yellow hue and soften the screen, but they are still a bit blotchy.


There are a few options for those into overnight "camping" along the coast.


This is one of my favorite spots to have lunch.  The restaurant and bar are built on long, tall, wooden pilings.  The restaurant and bar are actually above the water with the waves breaking underneath while you eat.  Check out the Fisherman's Restaurant and Bar in San Clemente. 






Below:  This is the Oceanside Transit Center station about 35 minutes from my parent's house.  Even with public transport, one is still required to have help from a friend, family member or taxi to complete the trip.  Unless of course you are staying at one of the nearby surf-side hotels.  Then it's only a 7-minute walk from the station to complete your journey.


And the hotel is literally next to the tracks.
Where you see the traffic lights, is where the tracks are at.

Where it gets really crazy is where the tracks are almost 
about to be washed away by the waves.  
Notice that in part of the video above 
and the photo below, 
that I am pointing the camera almost straight down.
The waves are crashing just a few feet/meters from the tracks.
Now I know why there were life preservers under the train seats.

OK - really?  And just what exactly is this fence supposed to be doing?   
Keeping the train from falling into the ocean or keeping the sealions 
from hitching a free ride to San Deigo?





No comments:

Post a Comment