04 September 2022

4 - Happy 80th Birthday, Pop !! - Station to Station

While writing the last part of blog part 3, my thoughts made me title this blog part 4: Station to Station.  I guess it's because I had that album by David Bowie and it came to mind when I wrote that I needed to get from Grand Central Station to Penn Station.  Anywhoo...... As I mentioned at the end of blog part 3, I needed to get from station to station.  I think most people would have taken the underground train/metro. Especially in this heat.  But I gave myself time to walk the distance to take in the most iconic parts of Manhattan.  And take some time to stretch out my legs from the 2-hour train ride from Danbury, CT.  Plus, I still had another hour train ride to go.




Soon I am at the Pennsylvania Station.  I enjoyed this walk very much.  So glad I did it. Next challenge would be to figure out which one of the 100's of train platforms I need to get to and where to get off at, to get on the AirTrain to get to JFK

I made it.  Fairly easy and this was my first time.  I got to JFK in good time.  I still have my phone.  According to google maps I needed to take a bus which I was not looking forward to but that was wrong.  The AirTrain stopped right at the terminal - as I suspected it would.  Just step off of the train, go up the escalator and there you are, right at the check-in counters.  There was a very long line of people waiting to check in.  I walked up to the woman checking in passengers and asked, "Isn't there a do-it-yourself kiosk here?"  "Yes", she replied, "it's just around this wall."  I walked to the other side of the wall and almost had a heart attack.  There were nearly twice as many people.  The most stupid, idiotic thing about American Airlines is that you could not buy luggage space when booking the flight.  You could only do it at the airport and nobody knew what the funk they were doing - not even me.  Everybody was scrambling to get help from the few flight assistants that were there.  I was watching another couple in the line next to me.  The machine spit out their boarding pass.  They were getting ready to leave the check-in kiosk.  "Hey", I yelled at them, "Don't forget your boarding pass!"   "What?"   "Your boarding pass - don't forget your boarding pass!"  "What?"  4 times this went back and forth.  Finally, I just reached into the kiosk tray, grabbed the passes and slapped them into the man's hand and said, "Your gonna need these."    "Oh thank you, thank you."   I wonder if they still have their phones.  Now it was my turn to step up to the check-in kiosk.  I was talking and watching the guy in front of me to see how this thing works.  He got lucky and did it without a hitch.  He kind of stuck around while I was giving it a go.  Something went wrong but between the two of us, we were able to figure it out and then the kiosk spit out my boarding pass.  Praise ye jesus!  I am now on my way to sunny cali forn ni ay!





Eureka! I found it.
See what I did there :-)
According to Google maps, 
this is Sand Hook Bay in New Jersey 
(the 2 photos below), just south of JFK airport.
See how google maps matches my photo? (above)




No comments:

Post a Comment