22 September 2019

Happy 29th Anniversary

It turns out that Denmark was the first country in the world to recognize the love relationship between 2 people of the same sex.  The passage of the new law in the parliament, took place 30 years ago come this October.  Denmark, once again, lead the way for equality for all people.  Eventually several other countries would follow in the footsteps of Denmark.   However there is still a long way to go for the rest of the world.  After the passing of the law in June, 1989, the following October would be the month that the 2 men, Axel and Eigil Axgil (among others) who worked hard to get the law passed, would be the first same-sex couple to get married.  



Both men have since passed away.  You can do a quick read up on these 2 guys on Wikipedia at this link.  I married my husband just 10 months after the law went into effect.  Not that it matters, because I know there are and have been other couples together longer than our 29 years, but legally speaking, I just maybe the one American homo, legally married for the longest time.

Our 29th wedding anniversary was August 23 but it is first now that I have time to write about it.  My husband nearly divorced me because I forgot our wedding day.  ha ha.  I hope that you have had a chance to take a look at my Ireland wedding blog post (2 postings before this one).   There I tell about going to a wedding in the countryside of Ireland.  But I was scheduled to work that week so I asked for time off.   I couldn't get it off.  We were too busy in the cargo hall.   However, the vacation planner said to me: if I move some days around and switch free days with work days within my own schedule, I could actually get the days off that I needed.  YES!  I said, I'll do it.  I came home from work that day and updated my wall callender.  That's when I noticed that I just agreeed to work on our wedding anniversary day.  Noooooooooo.....

Eventually I got it all figured out to where things worked out perfectly.  The question now was:  how to celebrate?  Being that Jens is now very limited - wheelchair and all - we really were not sure how we were going to celebrate or what we were going to do.    We knew that we were most likely going to go to a nice restaurant and celebrate with a juicy stake and a bottle of bubbly.   The problem with that is Jens can't really sit for such a long time in a restaurant so late in the evening.   There was also a garden party in our complex that evening that we were invited to.  Of course we couldn't go to both a dinner restaurant and a dinner garden party.

But then later on I got this idea that Jens and I would go to celebrate with a lunch instead of a dinner and this would enable us to have dinner in the garden with our neighbors.  It was also perfect because when Jens gets pooped out, he would basically already be home and I could easily continue on with the neighbors.

Now I needed to figure out which lunch restaurant to go to.  It had to be nearby because I was not about to drive home after lunch cocktails.   Then it hit me.  There is this new place on the other side of the harbor on a floating dock that I have been wanting to go to for a long time.  It's out doors and the day was beautiful.  I rolled Jens across the bridge over the harbor and then a 10 minute walk from there would be the perfect distance and with such ease.   

This is the bridge that we crossed.  I filmed this from our balcony back in 2014.  You can see it here on Youtube.  Watch the bridge swing open - really cool.

Then once we crossed the harbor, we come to the snake bike ramp.  I have a really long blog about how it was built and you can read all about it by clicking this link or you can just enjoy this one single photo I snapped along the way to the restaurant.  The ramp in the background goes from just about sea-level to the 2nd floor over another part of the harbor.  Yes, that right.  Most of Copenhagen is built on the 2nd floor (1st floor if you are European)  Amager and Islands Brygge is on the ground floor (stueetagen).  Bad joke.  Skip it.  Anyway, the snake bike ramp is really cool.


Now we are at the outdoor floating restaurant called Green Island.  It was a bit tricky on the wooden ramp from land to water because it was a bit steep for a wheelchair, but we did it without falling into the water.  And thank god for that because we forgot our waterwings this day.


It was a bit windy this day so we sat in one of the planter box corners which helps to break the wind.

It's just a tiny kitchen on the dock and there are only about 7 items on the menu - pizzas and sandwiches.  But being that this is Denmark, there was, of course, a full bar.  I order 2 Aperols - a very weak one for Jens.  This cocktail is all the rage right now.  2 parts Aperol, 3 parts sparkling wine and a splash of  soda water.  Here is a photo in case you don't know it.  It's Italian so it goes well with pizza.

They brought out the pizzas one at a time.  Its a small stone oven and they can only make one pizza at a time they told us.  So we shared the first one and found out that 1 is really enough for 2 for lunch.  But since we are pigs, we managed to squeeze in the 2nd one.   And it was really tasty.
Here is the home page link for the restaurant.  
It's really cool and you can even see the tiny pizza oven.


2 pix from the web. 

Here is my video from my cheapy phone.  I enjoyed this clip so many times until I put it on my normal size computer screen and can see just how out of focus it is.  The phone couldn't find the focus point I guess.

After lunch, I rolled Jens back home.  He took a nap and I got the meal going for the pot-luck garden party.  I have some really great neighbors and we had a great time - again.  Here are a few pix from the garden party.

















So that was a very nice, easy-going, and enjoyable way to celebrate 29 years.  
It's been an amazing 29 years that seem to have zipped by.   
Looking forward to the next anniversary - 30 years - and many more.   
Happy Anniversary, Skatto. 

2 comments:

  1. Very nice cousin. Congratulations Eddie and Jens!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely. I saw your link on the Overnight Thread on JMG. thanks for posting it. 25 years together here and 12 married. Like you the time has flown by.

    may you have many more!

    Cheers,
    Daryl (Hudson11 on JMG)

    ReplyDelete