22 July 2015

BELGIUM - day 2 - city walk

Today is our first full day in Brussels. My plan was to walk all the way out to Galeries Royales Saint-Hubert passageway but it turned out to be just a 5 minutes walk away from our hotel. We went there yesterday for our welcome to town dinner - so on to bigger and better sights.  My husband needs time for his morning medication to work so I got up and out early to snap as many pix as I could before coming back to the hotel to start the day WITH Jens.  Here are a few of the shots I snapped early this morning.  The sun was out and the entire hour between 8 and 9 was very exciting.
 The top apartment at the end of the block of our hotel.
I came across this card/art shop and thought of my cousin Chris who is crazy about brussels sprouts. It's a play on words and the Atomium. I really wanted to go see it but it will have to wait until next time.  Click on this link and check out the video.

 Here are a few more shots from as far as I could walk in 30 minutes.

 
 It's now 1 half hour later so I turn around and walk back on the next street to meet Jens at 10 at the hotel.  Along the way I come to another gallery passageway called Galerie Ravenstein.  It ends up at the train station for convenience.  There's not much write up about it in English but there are a lot of pix on-line so google it if you are interested to see more.
 
 


You say all that gallery walking makes you wanna pee here and now?  So funny, but right on the sidewalk at the side entrance to the train station is a port-a-potty.  (they definitely needed one of these on the other side of the building) (aren't you glad I didn't do a selfie or should I say, a selfpee?)
 Inside the train station.
Our hotel, Hotel Alma, is just around the corner of the first building on the left.  So I am back now and now Jens is ready to start his day.  

First stop on the list is Manneken Pis.  On our way, we pass by a some very interesting buildings and windows with stuff you don't need but want to buy anyway.
  The verity of waffles was endless.
 The amount of chocolate treats was endless.



 We have now come to the Manneken Pis.  This is the one spot that every tourist has to visit.
 I knew it was small but I didn't know that it could actually fit into my back pocket.

After watching the cherub baby angel piss non-stop, it was time for us to find a seat and drink a cup-a-java.


Then we are up and ready to go again and take in a few more sights until we get to the next stop on the list which is.............



.........The Grand Place or Grote Market (everything has 2 names - one in French and one in French-Dutch aka Flemish).  This is probably one of the most amazing squares that I have ever seen.

The buildings on the west side were covered with a picture of what they will look like once they are finished being restored.
 There is only popping wind sound and background noise so turn down your sound and watch this video of the beautiful square.

One thing that Jens can't get enough of is waffles...
waffles!
 waffles!
waffles!
And of course we have to take one more stroll through Galeries Royales Saint-Hubert.

Click here to see all 82 pix from our city walk.
and
 Click on the link to read part 2 of day 2 about our Hop On Hop Off bus tour.



No comments:

Post a Comment